Scoliosis is a lateral curvature of the spine. When you are looking directly at someone, their spine should be straight up-and-down. If they have scoliosis, their spine will curve from side-to-side, instead. In most cases, no one knows why this happens. The best defense for someone with scoliosis is to begin active treatment as soon as they are diagnosed, as this could possibly be the smallest their curve will ever be. Scoliosis usually will grow by a degree a year in adulthood, and will increase much faster in children and adolescents. Using an abundance of caution with proactive treatment for a smaller curve can save a world of trouble later on.
How Does Scoliosis Affect Your Health?
Scoliosis is estimated to affect 4.5% of the general U.S. population, about 13 million people. Nearly 500 new cases are diagnosed each day – about 173,000 new cases every year.
According to studies, the average scoliosis patient may suffer a 14-year reduction in life expectancy.
Health Complications of Scoliosis
- Shortness of Breath
- Back Pain
- Digestive Problems
- Menstrual Cycle Disturbances
- Leg, Hip and Knee pain
- Chronic Fatigue
- One-Sided Rib Hump
- Spinal Kyphosis(Widow’s Hump)
Scoliosis Warning Signs
- Uneven Shoulders
- Uneven Hips
- Spine Curvature
- Uneven Gap – Arm and Side
- Leaning To One Side
- Clothes Don’t Hang Properly
Traditional Medical Models For Scoliosis Treatment
Medical Procedures — Passive
Until recent times, a scoliosis sufferer was usually presented with three options:
- Bracing (25-40 degrees curvature). Of course, the only hope here is to STOP progression – not to actually REDUCE curve. However nowadays, with such a psychologically and physiologically debilitating disability, the prevailing sentiment is that bracing can hardly be considered a comprehensive solution.
- Surgery (40+ degrees curvature). Surgery involves having rods inserted into your spine in an attempt to reduce and stabilize the curve. Surgery has many potential complications, and curves are usually not able to be reduced more than 50%. Studies show that surgery patients’ curves increase 1-2 degrees a year following the surgery.
New Emerging Innovations For Scoliosis Treatment at Rhino Scoliosis Center
Determined to prevent the devastations caused by bracing and surgery for Scoliosis, Rhino Scoliosis Center works tirelessly to prevent these. Please learn more by reading our page on About Treatment At Rhino.